Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Get to Know Your Representative-Mr. Choong Jian Ming

He’s the face we’ve been seeing a lot of lately, always ready to lend a helping hand. He rose to great heights from humble beginning with his steely determination and caring nature. Our very own Food Tech undergraduate Choong Jian Ming is now SSMP’s representative in the university’s student council—MPP, holding the post of EXCO Perumahan dan Perkhidmatan Pelajar( EXCO 3P). Learn more about this friendly young man as discovered by Chan Kaang Cheing of Food Bites.

* Please feel free to contact Jian Ming if you need any help regarding your welfare in SSMP or in UMS. Contact number: 013—5411027
___________________________________________________________

EB—Editorial Board JM—Choong Jian Ming

EB: What have you experienced so far after joining MPP?
JM: Before I joined MPP, I was just a normal student and did not know the many problems faced by other
students. After becoming an MPP, I got to know more about the needs of UMS students after they voice
out their problems as well as opinions to us.

EB: After joining MPP, did you feel any positive changes towards your personality?
JM: Personality wise I hope I didn’t change much because I do not want people to think that MPPs are very
proud of themselves although I do feel that I am more confident in making my own decisions and voicing my opinions.

EB: Has joining MPP affected your grades?
JM: I’m not quite sure about the grades yet as I have not been in MPP long enough to see any changes in my result although it is true that joining MPP took a lot of my time. I’ve discussed with Dr. Chye, my mentor, and he advised me to prioritise on my academic as it is a student’s responsibility and I will try to follow his advice but MPP is my responsibility so I can’t just leave it aside. Adequate balance is the key to success.

EB: Has the current scenario of jobless graduates in the country prompted you to join MPP? Is it one of the steps to help you secure a better job in the future?
JM: Maybe, but I think it is the experience that I gained that will help me during job interviews and also enhance the quality of my resume which will be used to convince my future employer. It is not the MPP work that does the convincing, but the experience gained from it.

EB: Now let us talk about SSMP. What difficulties do students of SSMP currently face?
JM: Well, SSMP which is known as the school behind the mountain is not a very strategic place to begin with as it is isolated from the other schools. The problems they usually face are the lack of bus that goes to SSMP but this semester the bus route has changed and it is now very convenient for the students who stay in campus but it increases the burden for the students who stays in KF or IP as they need to take three different buses to arrive at SSMP. The response from the students now is that the bus system has greatly improved.

EB: What are your hopes for SSMP in the future?
JM: I would like to see more guys applying for courses in SSMP, to balance the gender ratio. Besides that, I would like to see improvement in SSMP’s academic results. SSMP churns out about one to two graduates obtaining First Class honours annually with the top student having a CGPA of 3.75 which is relatively low compared to other schools which have four to five graduates with First Class honours annually with the best student of CGPA 3.9.

EB: Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with the readers of Food Bites. It is hoped that SSMP’s student welfare will be well taken cared of with you as our representative at the MPP level. All the best to you and your future undertakings.

No comments:

Welcome!!!

Please do check out the latest food information under 'food bites' and recent updates.

Don't forget to post your comments and e-mail your opinions and suggestions to pmssmp_ums@hotmail.com (Add us at Friendster as well~)



NEW! Get updates from Food Alley via email subscription! Scroll down to the left column and type in your email address! BUT, be sure to come back here more often~ We are waiting for your comments and looking forward for some small talks at the chatbox!

Search this site